Time Sure Does Fly By ...........

Friday, October 10, 2008

WOO HOO! Good news!

Woo hoo! Sharon's teacher emailed me this afternoon with this information about the spelling test today:

******

SHE GOT A B! She only missed two. So whatever you did. Great Job! No b's and d's mixed up! Yeah!

Kristin Owens
3rd Grade
Wilbur Wright Elementary

*****

Woo hoo! I am SOOOOOOO happy! Sharon is the little 9 year old girl that I've been tutoring (since about mid-July) and for the past few weeks, haven't really seen a lot of progress, but YAY for today!

I am sure that Sharon did not learn her phonics in first and second grade - or if she did - she didn't learn them very well at all cause she can't sound out words/letters/sounds and she can't spell hardly at all. So last night, we tried something new. I gave her the spelling test like always and then I had written out all the letters of each word. We then cut out each word into little letters and she used those letters to spell the correct word. She got them right almost every single time. Then we went back to having her write the actual words when I gave them to her. She did pretty well, but still missed a few - 20 total words. So I didn't have a clue how she would do today on her test, but apparently, for this week anyway, something stuck! YAY!!!!

We are also working on her "b"s and "d"s because she keeps mixing them up and writing them backwards, so we have some "hand signals" to help her remember. Apparently she got those all correct today too! WOO HOO!!! 2 steps toward "progress" this week! :)

We are taking the girls out for lunch and to the apple orchard on Sunday afternoon after church. It's supposed to be a nice, nice day ... so I'm hoping the girls BEHAVE so that we can go. We told them no "shenanigans" like last time at the pizza place or it would be a LONG LONG time before we go anywhere else with them ... except to do school work at the library. ha!

So anyway ... I was just happy about this small step in the "progress" direction and wanted to share!

Happy Weekend!

1 Comments:

  • At 5:12 AM, Blogger Kim :) said…

    that is SUPER Good News!! I know you and your Mom are doing great with the girls. And hearing this little report from the teacher just proves it! As said before, those little girls are very lucky to have you guys in their life!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home