Tuesday
Hi.
Well, I went out with Brittany, my mentee, last night ... we had a great time. This was the first time we had been out - alone - without another mentor/mentee couple or the group. I was a little nervous at first because I didn't know for sure what all we would talk about ... but lo and behold, she talked and talked and talked. Apparently, she was comfortable with me ... alone ... and that is great. I think I learned her whole life story ... or if not, at least most of it. ha!
I was so happy she was opening up and talking to me ... about real life stuff ... not just silly stuff, like school and boys ... REAL stuff.
We decided to go to Anderson because she loves Fazoli's and that's what she wanted to eat and they have putt putt in Anderson, so we did that after supper. It was hilarious. Neither of us had been "putt-putting" for quite some time, so our scores reflected it ... actually, there was one shot where Brittany hit it a little too hard ... and the ball rolled out of the "lane" and under the bushes. We both burst out laughing. It was hilarious!
She's a good kid ... terrible upbringing with her (unmedicated, crazy) bipolar mother but her biological dad just found her 2 years ago and he is "stepping up to the plate" and really trying to make this work for them. So ...
We're gonna do something "alone" next week also and then the following week is supposed to be the last week that we "have" to do something with the girls, so we are all getting together as a group and going to a Japanese restaurant. Should be fun ... especially for the girls! But Brittany asked if we could still do something after that week ... I'm so happy about that.
It just amazes me that some girls (and boys) grow up with such low self esteem and such horrible home lives, etc. I'm hoping that I can add a bit of "spark" and "comfort" to hers.
Happy Tuesday!
Well, I went out with Brittany, my mentee, last night ... we had a great time. This was the first time we had been out - alone - without another mentor/mentee couple or the group. I was a little nervous at first because I didn't know for sure what all we would talk about ... but lo and behold, she talked and talked and talked. Apparently, she was comfortable with me ... alone ... and that is great. I think I learned her whole life story ... or if not, at least most of it. ha!
I was so happy she was opening up and talking to me ... about real life stuff ... not just silly stuff, like school and boys ... REAL stuff.
We decided to go to Anderson because she loves Fazoli's and that's what she wanted to eat and they have putt putt in Anderson, so we did that after supper. It was hilarious. Neither of us had been "putt-putting" for quite some time, so our scores reflected it ... actually, there was one shot where Brittany hit it a little too hard ... and the ball rolled out of the "lane" and under the bushes. We both burst out laughing. It was hilarious!
She's a good kid ... terrible upbringing with her (unmedicated, crazy) bipolar mother but her biological dad just found her 2 years ago and he is "stepping up to the plate" and really trying to make this work for them. So ...
We're gonna do something "alone" next week also and then the following week is supposed to be the last week that we "have" to do something with the girls, so we are all getting together as a group and going to a Japanese restaurant. Should be fun ... especially for the girls! But Brittany asked if we could still do something after that week ... I'm so happy about that.
It just amazes me that some girls (and boys) grow up with such low self esteem and such horrible home lives, etc. I'm hoping that I can add a bit of "spark" and "comfort" to hers.
Happy Tuesday!


1 Comments:
At 5:25 AM,
Kim :) said…
It sounds like Brittany has really taking a liking to you! Who could blame her?? I'm so glad that you guys have hit it off so well and she feels like she can talk to you. It sounds like she REALLY needs that in somebody! And you cracked me up when you were worried about if you guys would have anything to talk about? It sounds like she is a normal teenager with TONS going through her mind! How fun> :)
Post a Comment
<< Home