Tuesday
Hi. Spent most of last evening at the hospital with mom. Granny passed out yesterday afternoon and they took her down from the nursing facility (The Waters) to ER. She's not doing well at all. After HOURS of waiting and LOTS of testing, she was re-admitted to the hospital with dehydration, low potassium levels, high this and that levels, etc. She is in terrible shape. Right now, honestly, I cannot even possibly see her making it to her 89th b-day on September 16th.
She is very weak and lethargic, "out of it" and staring into space most of the time. Sometimes, she surprises you and says something "normal", but most of the time, she is just laying there, too weak to do or say anything. It is sad, very sad.
Once again ... there was a reason God put me in the business I'm in and NOT the hospital/nursing home business ... but my word. This sure has gotten me to thinking. We have a family who cares about a loved one in the nursing home ... we are asking for HELP, CARE -- to take care of Granny. What if some of those people didn't have family/friends fighting for them. I truly believe if mom hadn't been out there all weekend prodding them along, asking them about her hydration levels, etc., they probably wouldn't have even made a call to Granny's dr yesterday morning, etc. I really don't. So what? She would have just laid there and dehydrated to death?! GRRRRRRRR.
I know the nursing staff is very under-staffed and probably underpaid. I know that, BUT ... they took the job. They know their duties and the routines. Maybe they can't give one on one attention to the patients who really need help, but my word. My Granny isn't even strong enough right now to even LIFT her fork, let alone feed herself! GRRRRRR. So, how is she supposed to get "stronger" if she can't even feed herself. And mom ... don't even get me started on her ... she cannot possibly be out there for all meals, etc. She cannot!
Ok, sorry. I'll get off my soapbox. Just please continue to remember our family in your prayers.
She is very weak and lethargic, "out of it" and staring into space most of the time. Sometimes, she surprises you and says something "normal", but most of the time, she is just laying there, too weak to do or say anything. It is sad, very sad.
Once again ... there was a reason God put me in the business I'm in and NOT the hospital/nursing home business ... but my word. This sure has gotten me to thinking. We have a family who cares about a loved one in the nursing home ... we are asking for HELP, CARE -- to take care of Granny. What if some of those people didn't have family/friends fighting for them. I truly believe if mom hadn't been out there all weekend prodding them along, asking them about her hydration levels, etc., they probably wouldn't have even made a call to Granny's dr yesterday morning, etc. I really don't. So what? She would have just laid there and dehydrated to death?! GRRRRRRRR.
I know the nursing staff is very under-staffed and probably underpaid. I know that, BUT ... they took the job. They know their duties and the routines. Maybe they can't give one on one attention to the patients who really need help, but my word. My Granny isn't even strong enough right now to even LIFT her fork, let alone feed herself! GRRRRRR. So, how is she supposed to get "stronger" if she can't even feed herself. And mom ... don't even get me started on her ... she cannot possibly be out there for all meals, etc. She cannot!
Ok, sorry. I'll get off my soapbox. Just please continue to remember our family in your prayers.


1 Comments:
At 4:06 PM,
Kim :) said…
Karmen I am so sorry to hear thar your Granny is back in the hospital not doing very well. I will keep her and your family in my thoughts and prayers!
Post a Comment
<< Home