Time Sure Does Fly By ...........

Monday, August 20, 2007

Monday morning ..... bat story .... UGH!

(WARNING!)

If you think you might have a weak stomach ... stop reading now!

Ok, so it's the night before the first day of school (last night) and we are getting everything ready and ironed and laid out for Morgan's first day of 8th grade. YAY! We get in bed, I told Morgan she could watch tv till about 9:30-10:00 p.m. and the latest.

I'm laying in bed (with the lights out) watching tv upstairs and Mike is finishing up watching a movie downstairs. Ok, fine so far, right?!

So, I'm laying there watching tv and all of a sudden, out of the corner of my eye, I see a "bird" fly into my bedroom! HELLO!? I'm like ... WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THAT??? I ran downstairs to get Mike, who had just seen it fly by him and upstairs too. (Luckily, at this point, Morgan's door to her room is closed - otherwise, she would have been freaked out!!!)

I HATE BATS ... do you hear me? I HATE BATS! I know they probably can't really hurt me, but I HATE BATS! Got it???

So, I'm downstairs, Mike runs upstairs to try to figure out how to get this bat out of the house. He has me open the front door as if he is just going to "shoo" this bat downstairs and out the door. WRONGO! This bat has other plans.

By this point, Mike is "shoo-ing" the bat downstairs (which he accomplishes), but not out the door. The bat decides he wants to "check out our house" for awhile before going outside. By this time, I am literally crying (and screaming a time or two when the bat "swooped" down towards me) and apparently Morgan heard me so she came out of her room and STARTED to come down the stairs and Mike told her to get in her room and shut the door TIGHT! She didn't know what was happening! (We explained everything later!)

So, I'm literally crouched down on the floor by the computer desk CRYING ... Yes, CRYING ... because I am so scared. I HATE BATS!!!! Mike threw an afghan over me so that if the bat came over there, I was at least covered! GROSS!

So, under the afghan, I hear Mike "hitting" and "panting" and "swinging" at this bat. I then hear our ceiling fan in the dining room come on -- thinking I was going to have "bat juice" all over the dining room walls ... at this point, I didn't care. I just wanted him either out of there or dead!

Mike fights with this stupid bat for a few minutes and I hear him swatting something (later, I realized it was his shirt). He said the stupid bat went under the dining room table (because it was darker under there) when he turned the light/fan on in the dining room and then the stupid bat would "lunge" after him every once in awhile. (He was a little freaked out too, actually!)

FINALLY ... after what seemed like a LONG LONG LONG time, Mike apparently killed the bat and threw him out by his truck.

We have NO IDEA how the bat got into the house. I thought maybe when the dog was let out (the side door), maybe the bat flew in then and stayed down in the dark basement for awhile or something? No clue. Mike checked down there. No signs of anything else. The other idea was that possibly the chimney that is supposedly "shut off" isn't quite as "shut off" as one might think. So ... Mike said he would check it out today/this afternoon and get some sort of expanding foam and/or screen or something ... in case that's how it got in. However he wants to fix it is FINE WITH ME ... because I hardly slept last night and whatever it is HAS to be fixed before another night goes by.

I HATE BATS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Monday! (I'll post pictures of Morgan's first day of 8th grade later or tomorrow!)

2 Comments:

  • At 7:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bless your heart! I'm sorry you had to go through that!

     
  • At 4:39 PM, Blogger Kim :) said…

    Oh my goodness!! That freaked me out just reading it!! YUCK!! I would have reacted the same way you did! ACK! I sure hope that Mike figures out how that dumb thing got in the house and prevents it from happening again!! {{{MAJOR HUGS}}

    I hate bats also!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home